By: Jillian Ouhrabka MS, RD, LDN, CHC
Its 2014, you are determined to start the New Year off right! You have set your health goals, maybe you want to lose weight, or start exercising more. Maybe you think about starting to take some weight loss shakes, or order some home delivery food to help you lose weight. You have joined a gym and already gone 5 times! You feel like you own this year!
Fast forward 1 month…
You decided the home delivery is too expensive, or it doesn’t fill you up. The gym is a good idea but you don’t feel like going as much anymore, you haven’t lost weight but you haven’t gained weight. This is the problem-diets don’t work! They are a short term solution and often people who go on “diets” or follow a high protein, low carb diet plan will not only gain back the weight they lose but often gain it back and then some!
Isn’t there a simpler, more natural and healthy way to lose weight? You want to do it; you just can’t seem to overhaul your current diet/lifestyle.
There are no magic tricks, not special diets that you need. If you are like most of my clients you can actually eat MORE and LOSE WEIGHT! So often we think we have to eat less to lose weight but actually just the opposite is true!
Can I really eat more food to lose weight naturally?
Yes! I struggled with weight and food addiction for my entire life. I restricted calories, and thought if I ate less I would lose weight. That did not happen, instead I was so hungry I would eat sweets and crave high sugar, high calorie foods which did not help me lose weight. I have finally found freedom from food and been able to achieve my ideal weight by eating more.
I am eating regular meals and snacks, I eat lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, protein, and yes I eat sweets and treats IN MODERATION. I am eating more than I ever have eaten in my life and I have lost weight and kept it off! I feel fantastic, I eat what I want without feeling deprived and you can too! I can teach you how to feel full, feel satisfied, and have energy all day. The best part is that you don’t have to buy shakes, or special foods to do to this! That means you can make changes to your lifestyle and keep the changes long-term!!! There is not diet or exercise plan to fall off of because you are just learning to eat right.
How to eat more and lose weight naturally
Tip 1: Eat breakfast and then eat every 2 to 3 hours
- Space your calories out so that you are eating every 3 hours. This will keep your energy levels up and keep sugar cravings and overeating away!
- Your day should look like this:
- 7am: Breakfast
- 10am: Snack
- 1pm: Lunch
- 4pm: Snack
- 6pm: Dinner
- 8pm: Snack
- Your day should look like this:
Tip 2: Aim to eat 25 to 30 calories per kilogram of body weight
- Take your current weight in pounds and divide by 2.2 to get to kilograms
- Now multiply this number by 25 and then repeat this but multiply by 30
- This will give you a range of calories that you should aim to stay within each day to lose and/or maintain weight (Note: a dietitian can help you calculate your exact needs)
Tip 3: Follow a high fiber diet, and include protein and carbohydrates at all meals and snacks
- This combination will help keep your blood sugar stable, help you feel energized, and keep cravings for sugar and sweets at bay
Tip 4: Don’t be afraid of fat
- Healthy fats and oils help you feel full so you are less likely to snack on unhealthy foods
Tip 5: Eat more fruits and vegetables: Fruits and vegetables are high in fiber, low in fat and calories so they offer a fantastic, nutrient rich option
Snacking on potato chips or candy bars will not give you the essential nutrition to help reduce your risk of certain types of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, or lower your blood pressure or cholesterol, but…eating fruits and vegetables can!
- Fruits and Veggies have antioxidants, fiber, vitamins, and minerals
- Fruits and vegetables promote weight loss, great taste, and when you eat these instead of sweets you are replacing the less healthy foods you would be eating (this saves you calories for weight loss)
Tip 6: Follow the MyPlate guidelines for what your plate should look like:
- ½ of your plate should be fruits and vegetables
- ¼ of your plate should be protein (opt for turkey or chicken breast, baked fish, ham or pork, beans, low fat cottage cheese, tempeh, soy or meatless options, or egg whites for protein)
- ¼ of your plate should be whole grains or starch (choose baked sweet potato, brown rice, wheat pasta, or whole grain bread)
Tip 7: Drink more water
- Often when you feel hungry you are thirsty! Instead of reaching for some food, have some water to stay hydrated and curb your hunger between meals and snacks
To learn more about losing weight naturally, or to set up an appointment to see how you can lose weight naturally and get healthier, happier, and live better contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org . No matter what your goals we can help you!