Berries are a delicious, low calorie, high fiber snack that contains many vitamins and minerals that are essential for your body’s healthy function. With such a variety of berries there is a type for everyone to enjoy- strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cranberries, and blackberries to name a few!
Health Benefits of Berries
Berries are a good source of antioxidants and offer a variety of health benefits.
- Berries contain phytochemicals and flavonoids which have been shown to help prevent some types of cancer
- Cranberries can help prevent bladder infections
- Blueberries help promote healthy vision with the lutein they contain
Where can I get berries?
Summer is a great time to enjoy berries- they are in season and so taste very fresh! They are widely available during summer months:
- Berries are typically less expensive at the supermarket since they are in sease
- If you can’t afford to buy fresh berries look in the frozen food section and buy frozen berries (just avoid added sugar and/or syrups)
- Local farmers markets are a great place to buy berries and get to know your farmers!
How can I eat more berries?
Simply start adding them to foods you already enjoy eating, or get creative with new healthy dessert ideas:
- Add blueberries to cereal and oatmeal
- Slice raspberries and strawberries into yogurt
- Blueberry pancakes and muffins are always a hit!
- Serve mixed berries (pick whichever combination you like) as dessert with a little low fat whip cream instead of sweets
- Add some raspberries to your favorite white wine
- Dress up a salad with raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries (add some walnuts to your salad to get more heart healthy omega-3 fatty acid)
- Offer berries as a snack to your kids- get them involved with picking berries at a local farm or try growing some yourself!
Nutrition Information for berries:
- 1 cup of strawberries has only 54 calories and contains vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, folate and potassium
- 1 cup of blueberries has only 83 calories and contains vitamin C, minerals and phytochemicals
- 1 cup of raspberries has only about 64 calories and contains vitamin C and potassium
- 1 cup of cranberries has only 44 calories and contains vitamin C, minerals and phytochemicals