Food does not have to be tasteless; you can still enjoy the foods you love especially if you make them yourself!
Buffalo Chicken Tender Pizza
- 1 pound refrigerated fresh pizza dough
- Cooking spray
- 8 pieces whole grain chicken tenders made with white meat
- 1 cup Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- ¼ cup margarine
- 2 Tbsp. White Vinegar
- ½ cup low-sodium pasta sauce (I recommend a garlic or herb blend)
- ½ cup sliced or diced white onion
- ½ cup thinly diced celery
- 1 Tomato sliced or diced
- ¾ cup (3 ounces) pre-shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese or try an Italian blend
- 2 Tbsp. each of: Pepper, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder
- Preheat oven to 450°
- While oven is heating, making the buffalo sauce:
- Add 1 cup of Frank’s Red Hot sauce with ¼ cup butter or margarine on low heat. Dice the chicken tenders and add to the hot sauce. Add 2 tablespoons vinegar and heat until boiling (taste for flavor-if too sweet, add more spice. Using a spoon, gently mix the chicken in the sauce-just coating it
- Get the dough ready:
- Place dough in a bowl coated with cooking spray; let dough stand, covered, for 15 minutes.Sprinkle a baking sheet with a little flour. Roll dough into a 12-inch circle on prepared baking sheet (use a rolling pin and press on the outside edges of the dough- starting from the middle may cause you to get a thin center and thick edges)
- Add toppings:
- Spread sauce evenly over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border
- Top the sauce with your onion, tomato, and celery
- Next add the Buffalo Chicken Tenders to the top of the pizza
- Sprinkle cheese over the pizza
- Lastly, sprinkle the pepper, onion powder and garlic powder over the top
- Bake at 450° on bottom oven rack for 15 minutes or until crust is golden.
- Allow a few minutes to cool, slice up and enjoy!
Tip: Add broccoli, spinach, or peppers (or any other favorite veggies) to get more nutrition!
Add a salad packed with veggies as a side dish and you have a great healthy, low fat, low calorie meal, that takes about 20 minutes to make and costs less on your waist line and wallet than store bought pizza!
Let us know how you like it!