By: Jillian Ouhrabka MS, RD, LDN, CHC
What is Pesto?
We all love it but what is Pesto exactly? Pesto is easily made in a food processor and while there are variations, it is typically composed of basil, garlic, pine nuts, olive oil, Parmigiana-Reggiano cheese.
Spice up your Pesto with a little orange rind or add home grown veggies! If your garden has cilantro, thyme, chives, mint, or parsley (or any other green) add it for a twisted Pesto or try a new Pesto Recipe:
Kale Pesto Recipe
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pine nuts
- 4 cups of firmly packed kale
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 oz grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 salt (optional)
- In food processor finely chop garlic
- Add nuts and pulse
- Add Kale and pulse
- With food processor running, add olive oil, and water until you have created a paste
- Using a spoon, mix in the cheese and salt (optional)
- Add to your favorite dish!
You can add Pesto to most any dish for a great burst of flavor! Try adding it to:
- Pizza or Pasta Sauce
- Beans and Rice
- Lettuce, turkey, and hummus wrap