It wakes us up, it makes us feel warm and happy, but is there an actual health benefit from drinking it? The answer is…yes (sort of)…
Benefits from coffee:
- It may reduce your risk for type 2 Diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, and heart disease
- It is packed full of powerful antioxidants (these are nature’s health boost!)
- Most of us get more antioxidants from coffee than any other food or drink!
- You can get antioxidants from blueberries, blackberries, cranberries, broccoli, mango, nuts, dark chocolate, artichokes, and potatoes too!
- It is low calorie (as long as you watch the cream and sugar)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) of coffee has about 2 calories, zero fat, and zero sugar
- Tip: To keep it low in calories:
- Opt for skim milk, or half and half instead of cream
- Use splenda, truvia, or other alternative sweetners
- Add sugar yourself and use packets instead of spooning it!
- 1 sugar packet = approximately 25 calories
Cons of coffee?
While studies suggest drinking more than 3 cups per day for some people can be beneficial, for others drinking more than 2 cups a day may:
- Increase blood pressure
- Cause spikes in blood sugar leading to sugar cravings
- Inhibit sleep patterns
- Heavy coffee drinkers are often more likely to be smokers
The bottom line is that coffee has pros and cons. If you are drinking more than 2 cups a day you should check with your doctor or primary care provider to make sure you it is okay.
By: Jillian Ouhrabka MS, RD, LDN, CHC
Get more tips and information or ask a question at: firstname.lastname@example.org