Help keep your energy levels up by eating breakfast and then eating small, frequent meals every 3 hours. Aim to have some protein and carbohydrates at each snack and meal and drink plenty of water throughout the day.
Try one of these ideas for a high protein, energy packed small meal:
- 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese on a slice of whole wheat toast or mixed into 1/2 cup high fiber cereal
- 1/4 cup tuna salad made with light mayo on whole wheat bread/whole wheat pita and a piece of fruit, or add tuna to a green leafy salad with your favorite veggies and balsamic vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup egg salad made with light mayo with whole grain crackers and carrot and celery sticks
- 4 oz sliced turkey and low fat cheese rolled up in a whole wheat tortilla with mustard, lettuce, onion, and tomato and a piece of fruit on the side
- PB&J on whole wheat bread: Nuts are a great way to get added protein- add a piece of fruit or greek yogurt to complete this delicious meal
- Choose a whole wheat bagel or multi-grain English muffin with 2 tablespoons peanut butter or light cream cheese and smoked salmon
- Oatmeal made with low fat milk and a tablespoon of peanut butter mixed in (or try sliced almonds) with fresh berries or sliced banana
Having a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack helps you stay focused and energized, not to mention it helps prevent overeating when you get home from work.Try these delicious snacks to keep energy up all day:
- Greek yogurt with 1/3c trail mix (dried fruit and nuts)
- 1/2c almonds with a string cheese and fruit
- Peanut butter spread on an apple and a yogurt
- Hummus with vegetable sticks/whole grain crackers and a string cheese
- High fiber cereal (such as raisin bran, shredded wheat or grape nuts) with low fat milk and fruit
- Low fat cottage cheese with sliced fruit
- Try a fruit smoothie made with 1 cup fruit (try strawberries, banana, blueberries, or mango) 1 Tablespoon peanut butter, 3 Tablespoons Greek yogurt, skim or low fat milk, and 1 cup ice, blend and enjoy!
I hope these suggestions have been helpful, please let me know if I can help you further or if you have other questions. Good luck!